Is you hair ready for summer? I’m a wash and throw my hair back in a ponytail and go type of girl, but I still want shiny, bouncy and split-end free tresses cascading around me like an Auburn waterfall without having to spend half my day getting there. Who doesn’t want their hair looking perfect as they rush out the door? Aside from glowing skin, your hair health plays a pivotal role in self confidence and sex-appeal. Lets get that main looking show-worthy!
Hair is made up of proteins, just like every other part of your body and needs nutrients. Start treating your hair as an extension of your body (because it is!). It needs to be nurtured from the inside so it can shine from the outside and what you put into your body comes out in your hair. So..
10 essential foods for vibrant, luscious locks in time for summer:
- Proteins: – The building blocks for your hair. Without enough of it, your hair goes into hibernation mode. It stops manufacturing and as old hair falls out they are not replaced. Available in beans, pulses, fish, meat, eggs, soy yoghurt,and milk too. Greek Yoghurt also has the added benefit of Vitmain B5 which helps reduce hair loss and thinning.
- Omega3 Fatty Acids: – Body, shine and Fatty fish like Salmon and sardines are packed with these and help give you hair its shine and body.
- Carbohydrates: – Yes, carbs are good for you! Restricting your Complex carbohydrates intake can make your hair look dull and lifeless. Go for whole wheat breads and pasta, oats and cereals.
- Iron: – to nourish hair from the inside promoting hair growth. Getting too little iron is a surefire way to end up with more hair in your hairbrush (and more eyelashes on your cheeks!). Available in red meats, seafoods, seaweed, pumpkin seeds and spinach leaves.
- Vitamin C- Is important in helping you to absorb Iron. Found in food like oranges, Kale, Berries, and spinach and guava.
- Biotin: – one of the super-powers for strong hair and nails. It helps prevent split ends, thinning and brittle strands. My go-to foods for Biotin include bananas, eggs, peanuts, salmon, lentils and cauliflower.
- Antioxidants: – brilliant for shiny locks and to keep your hair from drying out in the summer sun. Stock up on herbs like ginger, turmeric root, and rosemary while indulging in some sweet potato chips (yum!)
- Capsaicin: – Found in chillies and spicy foods, it promotes hair growth by mimicking our natural growth factors.
- Zinc: – An essential nutrient for cell growth that helps prevent dry, itchy scalp. Cereals and whole grains are a good source.
- Organic Herbal Teas are extremely good for the maintenance of hair and reduces hair fall an can be used to nourish hair externally as well. These organic teas are enriched with Vitamins A, C, K, Calcium, Iron, Potassium and Magnesium that add extra beauty and lustre to your hair.
Guest post: Grace Fuss founder of Clara Hope
ClaraHope is an Australian brand established in 2014 specialising in artisanal haircare that is additive free, Earth positive and honest. Our Hair Tea pods are my own creation, inspired by my mother, named after my daughter and fuelled by a desire to provide you with natural, healthy alternatives to many haircare products available today. My desire and hope for you is that you will take a little time to pamper yourself with your favourite skin care regime, enjoy a bath, or sip on a cup of tea while you enjoy the aromatic benefits of our products. Soak up those ten or twenty minutes just for YOU. I insist. Feel clean, become revitalised and indulge yourself in the natural beauty of ClaraHope.
Head on over to Instagram to see our latest giveaway from ClaraHope Tea Pods.